If you’re considering spray foam insulation, you’ve probably heard mixed messages about whether or not you should DIY the installation yourself or hire a professional to do it.
This can be confusing, especially because most people don’t know what spray foam insulation is or why they might need it in their homes or businesses.
We’ll help you understand whether DIY spray foam insulation is right for you, and if so, where to get the right equipment and materials to do it right—and safely!
Pros and Cons of DIY vs. Hiring an Installer
We all know that DIY projects have their benefits. Not only are they less expensive, but you get to be more creative and hands-on.
But DIY spray foam insulation doesn’t fall into the same category. Sure, you save some money upfront by installing it yourself, which can be costly if you’re hiring a professional.
But when it comes time to finish the job, your inexperience will end up costing you even more time and money in the long run.
Even worse is that poor installation means negative consequences for your home’s air quality and moisture levels, too.
Bottom line: Save yourself the headache and hire an installer from the start to get things done right.
5 Things to Keep in Mind When Trying to Decide Whether You Should Perform the Work Yourself or Hire an Installer
Here are some things to keep in mind when trying to decide whether you should hire an installer or DIY spray foam insulation:
1. Some contractors will only give the customer an itemized list of the charges that are associated with the installation of spray foam insulation, meaning that it can be difficult to know what you’ll owe before they begin work on your project. If you decide to install spray foam insulation yourself, there will be no hidden fees associated with the job.
2. As previously mentioned, some contractors may also charge a set-up fee in addition to their per unit fee. With DIY spray foam insulation jobs, any setup costs are upfront.
3. A significant amount of professionals will only work on jobs in which they make their money from an hourly wage rather than from an initial set-up fee. With spray foam insulation, you’re paying one set price that covers both set-up and labor. This means that your contractor may not be as invested in ensuring a high-quality job gets done when he’s not receiving extra compensation for taking time out to do extra work.
4. If you’re paying for a service, you’ll want to be sure that you’re working with a licensed installer. On average, 75% of contractors who operate in residential settings are unlicensed, according to NFPA.
5. No matter what you’re building, you’ll want to know that any spray foam insulation installed by professionals is being done according to all local codes and regulations. Because DIY spray foam insulation jobs are only governed by a set of instructions and not laws, any mistakes made during installation may have serious consequences. For example, if you try to install spray foam insulation in a place where it isn’t allowed, your installation may lead to property damage or even cause a fire.
Keep these in mind when making your decision.
How Much Does Spray Foam Insulation Cost?
In general, the cost of spray foam installation is between $1 to $5 per square foot. This can vary depending on the time needed to complete the job, materials involved, etc. The average cost for installation ranges from $2 to $4 per square foot with an estimated installation time of one day.
Common Mistakes People Make When Doing Their Own Spray Foam Insulation Installation
The most common mistakes people make when doing their own spray foam insulation installation include using too much foam, not creating a wide enough passage for the vapor barrier, and not sealing all the way around.
These things can lead to air leakage or worse yet cause mold growth in your home. The next time you consider installing your own spray foam insulation, be sure to have all of these things checked out by a professional to ensure your home is insulated safely and efficiently.
Get 5% Off + A Free Consultation With Bulldog Insulation!
Ready to have your Ashburn insulation needs met? Contact us for a free estimate + 5% off!